- Capstone Design
MECH 897, 997 Graduate Seminar
Each research graduate student is required to regularly attend the graduate seminar program, students have the choice of attending the seminars in either Nicol Hall or McLaughlin Hall. The students will decide with their Faculty Supervisor within which seminar series they will present their research. The department requires students to give at least one seminar during their program at Queen's.
M.A.Eng. are required to take MECH-897 and PhD students are required to take MECH-997.
The content of the seminar is to be developed in cooperation with the student's supervisor. The seminar will be evaluated by invited faculty members and a pass/needs to repeat decision will be recorded. The student must obtain a majority of pass grades for the markers to clear this course requirement. The evaluation process for the seminar is defined in the departmental procedures. This course carries no course credit but is a degree requirement in the Department of Mechanical and Materials Engineering.
Read the following material carefully and follow the instructions.
Sample Abstract. Additional samplesfrom the 2009-10 academic year are available for view on the main MME home page (see Graduate Student Research Bulletin).
Download Dr. Dave Wilson's Seminar on "Effective Presentation Skills" - Copywrite Dr. David Wilson 2001.
Seminars will be held every Thursday at 1:30 in McLaughlin Rooms 315/312, and every Tuesday at 11:30 in Nicol Hall Room 232.
All scheduling, signing-up and conflict related matters should be addressed to the corresponding Seminar TA.
- If the conflict is because of your TA duties or the course you are taking you must attend the alternate seminar series – McLaughlin Hall or Nicol Hall.
- For research related conflicts, the email must be copied to your supervisor.
- For one time absenses (i.e. Sickness) please ensure to contact your relevant TA as soon as possible.
- Professor Leila Notash - Graduate Seminar Faculty Advisor McLaughlin Hall (Course Structure issues)
- Amirreza Rouhi- Graduate seminar TA in McLaughlin Hall (Scheduling issues, Absences, etc)
- Professor Zhongwen Yao - Graduate Seminar Faculty Advisor Nicol Hall (Course Structure issues)
- Chris Cochrane - Graduate seminar TA in Nicol Hall (Scheduling issues, Absences, etc)