Facilities and Equipment
Friction and Wear Testing
AMTI Ortho Pod
The Ortho pod is a six station, pin on plate wear testing machine.
- Six pin and plate stations
- Temperature controlled platen for isothermal testing
- Isolated fluid immersion chambers for each station
- Multi-axis load cell option for friction and wear measurements
- Station load maximum of 445N (100lbs)
- Vertical position sensor with 10μ resolution at each station
- Pin speed 0 -180degrees/sec, pin torque 20inch-lbs (2.26Nm)
- Pin rotation axis 5.2cm (2.062in) fixed radius
- Platen speed 0-180degrees/sec, platen torque 120inch-lbs (13.5Nm)
Shapegrabber 3D scanner model LM600, with scanner heads SG100 and SG1000
The LM600 is a 3D laser scanner that provides images for small and medium size parts.
- Accurate to 0.05mm (0.002”)
- Produces 18 000 to 100 000+ points per second
- Scan Volume of 600mm x 160mm x 160mm (24” x 7” x 7”)
- Point Density of 1280 points on a line with a 1.3 Mega Pixel Imager
Mechanical Fatigue and Dynamic Characterization
Biosyntech Mach 1
The MACH 1 is a mechanical testing system used on specimens between tens of microns and a few centimeters to mechanically stimulate and characterize tissues, polymers, gels, capsules, adhesive or foods. The MACH 1 uses load and displacement controlled motions to determine stiffness, strength, modulus, viscoelasticity, plasticity, hardness, adhesion, swelling, relaxation and creep.
- Displacement control within 25nm
- Interchangeable load cells permitting maximum loads between +/- 150 g and +/-10Kg
- Incubator available for testing in sterile conditions or at temperatures up to 37°C
- Stress relaxation, ramp, dynamic sinusoids and creep tests in user specified order
- Cameras allow for visualization of specimen during testing
- Electric field detection
- Ultrasonic imaging
ELectroForce (ELF) 3230 with WinTest
To perform precision materials tests including tension/compression, fatigue and dynamic materials characterization. To provide superior flexibility and precision for dynamic testing of micro-electronics, biomaterials, tissue engineered medical devices, foods, elastomers and other engineered materials.
- Load Cell
- Frequency: 0.01-200 HZ
- Load: 0-250 N
- Displacement: ±12.7 mm
- Temperature: -80 to 250C
- Environments: 37C Saline Cell for in vivo biomedical simulation.
The 5500R is an electromechanical test instrument that performs a variety of mechanical test on metals, woods, polymers and other materials at -150°C to 600°C.
- Dynamic testing
- Tabletop load frame
- Maximum load 0.5kN
- Performs the following mechanical tests:
- Compression—Yield strength, yield point, elastic limit, and compressive strength
- Tensile—Ultimate tensile strength, modulus of elasticity, or Young's modulus
- Modulus of elasticity in shear, yield shear strength, ultimate shear strength, modulus of rupture in shear, and ductility
- Creep properties and stress relaxation, fatigue, flexure, impact—Ductile or brittle
- Pull testing—90° and 180° pull test, elongation at break, peel strength, butt joint, and lap-shear adhesion
KLA Tencor P 15 KLA
The P-15 is a programmable stylus profiler system that provides 2D and 3D topographic measurements on a variety of surfaces.
- The P-15 is equipped with a standard MicroHead that has a vertical range of 0 to 327 mm and is capable of scanning at forces between 1 mg and 50 mg
- The Stylus has a 2.0 mm radius
- The maximum horizontal scan length is 80 mm.
Dimension SST1200es 3D printer
To print a 3D model from a CAD file
- Model material: ABS plus
- Soluble support technology
- 10 x 10 x 12-inch (254 x 254 x 305 mm) build size
- Layer thickness: 0.254 mm (.010 in.) or 0.33 mm. (.013 in.)
The AR2000 is a rheometer which provides structure characterization of fluids, polymer melts, solids and reactive materials.
- 2 modes – controlled rate (CR) and controlled stress (CS)
- Minimum Torque Oscillation CR: 0.03μN.m, Minimum Torque Oscillation CS: 0.1μN.m
- Minimum Torque Steady CR: 0.05μN.m, Minimum Torque Stead CS: 0.1μN.M
- Maximum Torque: 200mN.m
- Angular Velocity range (CR): 0-300rad/s, Angular Velocity Range (CS): 1E-8 – 300rad/s
- Frequency Range: 7.5E-7 – 628rad/s
- Displacement Resolution: 40nrad
- Step Change in Velocity: 25ms
- Step Change in Strain: 60ms
- Normal/Axial Force Range: 0.005 – 50N
- Peltier Plate: -40 to 200°C
- Environmental Test Chamber: -160 to 600°C
- Concentric Cylinder: -20 to 150°C
- Upper Heated Plate: -30 to 150°C
- Electrically Heated Plate: -70 to 400°C