- About Us
News & Events
NSERC-UNENE Industrial Research Chair in Nuclear Materials
Canada Research Chair in Mechanics of Materials
Dept. of Mechanical and Materials Engineering,
Nicol Hall, 60 Union Street,
Kingston, K7L 3N6,
Tel: (613) 533 2193
Fax: (613) 533 6610
- Micromechanisms of deformation in metals, ceramics and composites; slip, twinning, phase transformation, cracking. Both experimental and modelling.
- Development and application of advanced neutron and x-ray scattering techniques in materials research, optimisation of diffraction optics, data analysis and statistical treatments. Both experimental and modelling.
- Nuclear materials
- Accelerator laboratory: 4MV tandem producing 8MeV H or 12MeV He; for damage or implantation studies
- Microscope laboratory: FEI Osiris FEG-TEM (STEM, EDS, EELS, in situ heating & straining), FEI FEG-Nova NanoSem (EBSD, EDX, in situ heating and straining)
- Mechanical testing laboratory (quasi-static; creep; fracture and fatigue; delayed hydride cracking, nano-indent; micro-indent)
- X-ray laboratory (Xradia micro-CT; texture; diffraction)
See also the pages for Reactor Materials Testing Laboratory.
I am looking for enthusiastic and talented Graduate students (MSc and PhD (Canadian or international)) in the areas of
(thermo)mechanical testing; thermomechanical processing
materials modelling; solid mechanics; finite element modelling
- materials characterisation; electron microscopy
- nuclear materials, especially ion irradiation.
Students with a background in materials engineering, materials science or physics would be ideal, but get in touch if you are interested.
I also have opportunities for undergraduate summer placements, or thesis projects.
Courses and other teaching:
- MECH 270. Materials Science and Engineering
- MECH 483. Nuclear materials (with Prof. Yao)
- MECH 851. Materials characterisation (with Profs. Yao and Diak)
- MECH 371. Fracture, dislocations and fatigue.
- MECH 476. Polymers and Composites (with Prof. Diak)
- MECH 479. Nanostructured materials
- AppSci 100.. Project supervisor