- Capstone Design
Here are a few articles that represent the breadth of research activity.
- A-M. Shinneeb and A. Pollard, Investigation of the Flow Physics in Human Pharynx/Larynx Region, Experiments in Fluids, In press, July 2012
- C.G. Ball, H. Fellouah and A. Pollard, The Flow Field of a Turbulent Round Jet, Progress in Aerospace Sciences 50:1-26, February, 2012.
- L. Wei and A. Pollard, Direct numerical simulation of low Mach number turbulent wall bounded flow with favourable and adverse pressure gradients, J. Turbulence, DOI: 10.1080/14685248.2011.652305 February 2012.
- A. Pollard, M. Uddin, A. Shinneeb and C. Ball, Recent Advances and Key Challenges in Investigations of the Flow Inside Human Oro-Pharyngeal-Laryngeal Airway Invited article for Special Issue of Multi-disciplinary CFD in Intl J. CFD, C. Mavriplis (ed) May 2012 DOI:10.1080/10618562.2012.668616
- A-M. Shinneeb and A. Pollard, Identification of Vortical Structures inside the Human Pharynx/Larynx Region from POD-Reconstructed Velocity Fields, Experiments in Fluids, March 2012 DOI: 10.1007/s00348-012-1293-5.
- A. Duncan, A. Pollard and H. Fellouah, Torrefied Biomass Pellets through the use of Experimental Design, J. Applied Energy, March 2012 http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.apenergy.2012.03.035,
- R. Andrews, A. Pollard, and J. Pearce, Improved parametric empirical determination of module short circuit current for modelling and optimization of solar photovoltaic systems, Solar Energy, , May 2012 http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.solener.2012.04.016
- D. Bespalko, A. Pollard and M. Uddin, Analysis of the pressure fluctuations from an LBM simulation of turbulent channel flow, Computers and Fluids, October 2011 doi:10.1016/j.compfluid.2011.10.008
- L. Wei and A. Pollard, Direct numerical simulation of compressible turbulent channel flows using discontinuous Galerkin method, Computers and Fluids, 47(1):85-100, 2011.
- H. Raiesi, U. Piomelli and A. Pollard Evaluation of turbulence models using large-eddy simulation data, ASME, J. Fluids Engineering, February 2011 -- Volume 133, Issue 2, 021203 (10 pages) doi:10.1115/1.4003425
- L. Wei and A. Pollard, Interactions among pressure, density, vorticity and their gradients in compressible turbulent channel flows, J. Fluid Mechanics, doi:10.1017/S0022112010006166, February 2011
- R.K. Rowe, A. Hoor and A. Pollard, Examination of a Method for Reducing the Temperature of MSW Landfill Liners, ASCE, J. Environmental Engineering, 136(8): 794-803. doi:10.1061/(ASCE)EE.1943-7870.0000212 (2010)
- D. Bespalko, A. Pollard and M. Uddin Direct numerical simulation of fully-developed turbulent channel flow using lattice Boltzmann method and analysis of OpenMP scalability, High Performance Computing Systems and Application, Lecture Notes in Computer Science, volume LNCS 5976, 2010, pp 1-19
- L. Wei and A. Pollard, Direct numerical simulation of a turbulent flow with pressure gradients, Progress in Turbulence III, Proceedings of the iTi Conference in Turbulence 2008, Springer Proceedings in Physics , Vol. 131, Peinke, Joachim; Oberlack, Martin; Talamelli, Alessandro (Eds.) 2010
- H. Fellouah and A. Pollard, The velocity spectra and turbulence length scales distributions in the near to intermediate regions of a rounf turbulent free jet, Physics of Fluids, 21, 115101, 2009
- H. Fellouah, C.G. Ball, A. Pollard, Reynolds number effects within the development region of a turbulent round free jet, International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, 52 (17-18):3943-3954 (2009)
- V. Artemov, S.B. Beale, G. de Vahl Davis, M.P. Escudier, N. Fueyo, B.E. Launder, E. Leonardi, M.R. Malin, W.J. Minkowycz, S.V. Patankar, A. Pollard, W. Rodi, A. Runchal, S.P. Vanka, A tribute to D.B. Spalding and his contributions in science and engineering, International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, 52 (17-18):3884-3905 (2009)
- C.G. Ball, M. Uddin, A. Pollard, Mean flow structures inside the human upper airway, Flow, Turbulence and Combustion, 81(1-2):155-188 2008
- C.G. Ball, M. Uddin and A. Pollard, High resolution turbulence modelling of airflow in an idealised human extra-thoracic airway, Computers and Fluids, 37(8):943-964, 2008
- G. Fournier, F. Golanski and A. Pollard, A novel outflow boundary condition for incompressible laminar wall-bounded flows, J. Computational Physics, 227:7077-7082, 2008.
- M. Uddin and A. Pollard, Self-similarity of Co-Flowing Jets: The virtual origin, Physics of Fluids, 19, 068103_1-068103_4, June 2007.
- M. Uddin and A. Pollard, MPI Scalability of a Large Memory LES Code, Int’l Jn. High Performance Computing and Networks, 4(5-6):295-302, 2006
- A. Pollard, H.L.M. Ozem and E.W. Grandmaison, "Turbulent, swirling flow over an axisymmetric, constant radius surface", Experimental Thermal and Fluid Science, Vol 29, 493-509, 2005.
- A. Johnstone, M. Uddin and A. Pollard, "'Calibration of hot-wire probes using non-uniform mean-velocity profiles", Experiments in Fluids, Vol 39, 525-532, 2005.
- A. F. Heenan, W. H. Finlay, B. Grgic, A. Pollard and P.K.P. Burnell, An Investigation of the Relationship Between the Flow Field and Regional Deposition in Realistic Extra-thoracic Airways, J. Aerosol Science 35(8) 1013-1023, 2004
- A. Johnstone, M. Uddin, A. Pollard, A. Heenan and W. H. Finlay, The flow inside an idealised form of the human extra-thoracic airway, Experiments in Fluids, 37(5) 673-689, 2004
- A. Benaissa, B. Fleck and A. Pollard, Wall Effects on Axi-symmetric Jet Evolution, Intl. J. Transport Phenomena, 6(4):323-331, 2004.
- H. Xu, M. Khalid and A. Pollard, Large Eddy Simulation of Turbulent Flow in a Confined Square Annular Jet, Int’l. Jn. Computational Fluid Dynamics, 17(5):339-356, 2003
- P. Lavoie and A. Pollard, Uncertainty Analysis of Four-sensor Hot-Wires and Their Data Reduction Schemes used in the Near Field of a Turbulent Jet, Experiments in Fluids, 34: 358-370, 2003.
- A.F. Heenan, E. Matida, A. Pollard and W. Finlay, Experimental Measurements and Computational Modelling of the Flow Field in an Idealised Extra-thoracic Airway, Experiments in Fluids, 35:70-84, 2003.
- P. Lavoie and A. Pollard, "Uncertainty analysis of four-sensor hot-wires and their data reduction schemes used in the near field of a turbulent jet", Experiments in Fluids, Vol 34, 358-370, 2003.
- S. McIlwain and A. Pollard, "LES of the effects of mild swirl on the near field of a round free jet", Physics of Fluids, Vol 14, No. 2, 2002.
- P. Lavoie and A. Pollard, "Analysis of four data reduction schemes applied to four-sensor hot-wire probes", 14th Australasian Fluid Mechanics Conference, Adelaide, Australia, Dec 9-14, 2001.
- H. Xu and A. Pollard, "Large eddy simulation of annular duct flows", Physics of Fluids, Vol. 13, No. 11, pp3321-3337, 2001.
- H. Xu, M. Khalid and A. Pollard, "Spatial evolution of turbulent flow in a confined square coaxial jet", AIAA CFD Conference, 99-3357, 1999.
- M. Gad-el-Hak, A. Pollard and J-P. Bonnet, Flow Control, Fundamentals and Practices, Shortcourse Notes from Workshop held in Cargese, Corsica, Volume LNP m53, Springer Verlag, (Berlin), 1998.
- O. Delabroy, E. Haile, F. Lucas, S. Candel, A. Pollard, A. Sobiesiak, "Passive and Active Control of NOx in Industrial Burners", Experimental Thermal Fluid Science, Vol 16, pp 64-75, 1998.
- P. Sullivan and A. Pollard, "Coherent structure identification from analysis of hot wire data", Measurement Sci. & Tech. Vol.7, pp1498-1516, 1996.